With Independence Day quickly approaching, consider the following drinking and driving statistics compiled by federal agencies, including the NHTSA.
- 90% of drunk driving happens after drinking with co-workers, family, or friends.
- Over the past 25 years, 51% of all deadly crashes on Fourth of July weekend are alcohol-related.
- Individuals between the ages of 21 and 24 are involved in 36% of fatal alcohol-related car accidents.
- Plan a safe way home before the festivities begin.
- Always have a designated sober driver who will hold car keys of those who plan on drinking.
- If you suspect or see a drunk driver on the road, don't hesitate to contact local law enforcement.
- Article Courtesy of: The Watershed, a premier drug and alcohol treatment facility in South Florida, wants to remind the public that thousands are expected to drink during the holiday, putting themselves and others in danger when they hit the road.